Thursday, December 1, 2011

How to measure... anything. Part 2

Good measurements can make budgeting and estimating more accurate and make your money work harder.
Not enough to finish the job, or a pile of mismatched junk in the backyard?  It's your choice...
Everything you need to know is locked up in the tiny little lines printed all over that tape measure.  It's your secret weapon. 

But that's the problem. Every where I go, every time I need it, It's not there.  It's secretly somewhere else. A secret weapon, indeed.

The plan was to hit a routine company function on the way to an install. We showed up on time in our service truck, loaded for bear.  All good so far. I was hoping to get out quick and get on the road.
After the meeting, someone in a suit & tie (I'll call him "Suit A") decided someone else in a suit & tie (we'll call him "B") needed a new built in cabinet (who or why or how much is not the point of this blog).  I've got to admit, "Suit B" had really thought this through.  There were post-it notes on the wall at each corner, and a bunch of binders left out as samples to make sure the shelves were the right size.  After a brief discussion about the basic style, color palette, and rough size, they all look at me and say, "what do you think?"

I'm caught off guard.  "I need to get some measurements", and ease out the door towards the parking lot.  I've got a service truck loaded with every carpentry tool imaginable, but I can't produce a tape measure.  The next 60 seconds felt like an hour. 

A clerk from the office next to us presented a prized 99 cent store version, stored in their desk drawer, waiting for the moment to impress anyone with a suit on.  And today was the day.   I made a few jokes about it - something along the lines of "you get what you pay for" - but I stopped mid-sentence. 

Something caught my eye.
Tiny little lines printed all over that 99 cent tape measure...


I sent over a drawing, we made a few color samples, the thing was installed, everyone's happy.

So I just got back from the dollar store.  I spent $10 on 10 tape measures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment